Snow Season And Gulmarg Snowfall Months
Gulmarg- the hill-stationed town is located at an elevation of 2650 m above the sea level. This town is situated in the western Himalayan range, known as the
PIR PANJAL Range, lying in the Baramulla district of North Kashmir. Gulmarg is located 56km away from the main city of Srinagar. Because of its high elevation, Gulmarg experiences heavy snowfall in winters, moderately hot summers and the rest of the seasons around year, remains cool.
Literally, Gulmarg means “the flowers’ vale” and was named by none other than the husband of the most beautiful poet, that Kashmir witnessed- Habba Khatoon. She was the Queen of Kashmir in 16th century, with her husband- Yousuf Shah being the Sultan of Chak dynasty.
Gulmarg conceives the variety of different flowers during summer. From daisies to wild touch-me-nots, from butter cups to lavender, all add to the refreshing breezes of the meadows. Where dung smells give you the feeling of countryside, flowers refresh the air altogether. Although the population of the complete area belongs to the religion Islam, one can spot the MAHARANI TEMPLE dedicated to the SHIVA and PARVATI. In spite, Hindu ruler Maharaja Hari Sisodia did the construction of this temple; Muslims have looked after it very well.
Other than Maharani’s temple, St. Mary’s Church is the worship place of historical importance here. St. Mary’s Church is a Roman Catholic Church built in 19th century by the British. St Mary’s was closed for years but was renovated and reopened in 2003, holding its first Christmas service there for 14 years.
Places to visit in GULMARG
- Biosphere reserve: despite the fact that Kashmir provides perfect landscape to those who wish to hold beauty in their tools; the photographers; however can try their hand at wildlife photography in GULMARG’s biosphere reserve. What beautifies the scenery of Gulmarg is its conifers and pines. Whatever the times maybe, rare is in demand. The endangered Musk deer is the main attraction of this reserve. Other than which are Hangul, Leopard, Brown Bear, Black Bear, and Red Fox are found here. Migratory birds including, inter alia, Griffon Vulture, Blue Rock Pigeon Monal, Snow Cock, Kashmir Roller, and Jungle Crow are present here.
- Strawberry field.
- Apharwat peak: If you ask me about what my favourite place in Gulmarg is, certainly my answer will be apharwat. When the majestic golden rays of sun strike against the snowy-peaks to this peak, beauty comes to life. The sky appears to be touching the peak. In addition, you feel like you are floating over the clouds.
- Alpather Lake: The breath taking water body is situated at the foot of the twin Apharwat Peaks and is surrounded by the rocky mountains and the verdant meadows.
- Golf course: Situated at an altitude of 2,650 m, it is the highest green golf course in the world. The historic Gulmarg Golf Club was started in 1911 by the British who used the place as a holiday resort. The origin of Gulmarg as the golfing centre of India goes back to the late 19th century.
- Seven Springs: the Seven Springs offer a majestic view of both Srinagar and Gulmarg valleys from the top. The famous Gondola cable car ride takes you from Gulmarg to the Seven Springs in Kongdori.
- Gulmarg in Summer And Things To Do In Gulmarg
Snowfall months in Gulmarg:
If you want to witness snowfall in Kashmir, catch it here in Gulmarg. Although the upper reaches of those meadows are covered with snow from October until the advent of May, the often precipitation can be observed from the month of December till May.
Skiers who want to play in between the ranges should come in mid-January to ending April. However, the upper part of the mountains can be soared skiing until mid-march only.
Those who just want to visualize snow for real can plan their trip anytime between Novembers to July.
Gulmarg Best Hotels:
- Hotel hilltop with a rating of 7.6 out of 10
- Hotel Khaleel palace with a rating of 7.7 out of 10
- Fluorescence Hotel and restaurant with a rating of 7.7 out of 10
- Hotel sun and snow with a rating of 4.2 out of 5
- Kolahoi Green heights with a rating of 4.4 out of 5
- Yemberzel hotel and restaurant with a rating of 7.2 out of 10
- Pine view resort Gulmarg with a rating of 7.9 out of 10
- Rosewood hut/hotel with a rating of 4.4 out of 5
- Hotel Alpine Ridge with a rating of 7.3 out of 10
- Hotel pine spring with a rating of 7.8 out of 10
- Hotel heevan retreat with a rating of 8.3 out of 10
- Grand Mumtaz resorts with a rating of 7 out of 10
- Shaw inn with a rating of 4.1 out of 5
- Nedou’s Hotel with a rating of 8 out of 10
- Royal Park Hotel with a rating of 4 out of 5
- Welcome hotel Gulmarg with a rating of 7.7 out of 10
- Hotel pine palace resort with a rating of 4 out of 5
- Gulmarg resorts with a rating of 3.8 out of 5
- The meadows resort with a rating of 3.8 out of 5
- Vintage Gulmarg with a rating of 8.4 out of 10
- New Zam Zam with a rating of 7.5 out of 10
- The Khyber Himalayan with a rating of 8.6 out of 10
- Affarwat with a rating of 7.9 out of 10
You Can Also Check :Best Time To Visit Srinagar,Pahalgam and Gulmarg
Note: The ratings are completely obtained from trivago and goibibo websites, whilst the names taken are out of knowledge.
Gulmarg Police Station:
New Gulmarg police Station is located at the distance of 600m from Gulmarg Health Centre, taking only 7 min to reach so.
Gulmarg Health Centre:
Before visiting any place, one must check its health facilities and other services. Health care being the most important of all is most prioritized. Gulmarg Primary Health centre is located at distance of 750m from Gulmarg Ski Centre, taking only 9 minutes by foot. Additionally, it takes only 5 min to reach to the health centre from the Gulmarg main market.